CONTACT: Jessica McFaul
(202) 463-2436, email@example.com
WASHINGTON - The American Forest & Paper Association has released its April 2014 Printing-Writing Paper Report.
According to the report, total printing-writing paper shipments decreased 3 percent in April compared to April 2013, with increases in year-over-year shipments in uncoated mechanical, coated mechanical and coated freesheet grades.
- Uncoated free sheet (UFS) paper shipments in April decreased 8 percent compared to April 2013. YTD shipments are down 7 percent in 2014. UFS imports increased 38 percent in March compared with a decrease in UFS export shipments of 12 percent.
- April coated free sheet (CFS) paper shipments increased 1 percent to 313,800 tons. YTD shipments of coated freesheet grades are essentially flat compared to 2013.
- Uncoated mechanical (UM) paper shipments also increased 5 percent in April, the seventh year-over-year increase in the past eight months. Year-to-date shipments of UM are up 3 percent compared to 2013.
- Coated mechanical (CM) shipments in April increased 1 percent relative to April 2013, the first year-over-year increase in the past 21 months. Imports of CM through March were down 12 percent relative to the same three month period in 2013.
The report can be purchased by contacting Caroline Nealon at Statistics_Publications@afandpa.org
# # #
The American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) serves to advance a sustainable U.S. pulp, paper, packaging, and wood products manufacturing industry through fact-based public policy and marketplace advocacy. AF&PA member companies make products essential for everyday life from renewable and recyclable resources and are committed to continuous improvement through the industry’s sustainability initiative - Better Practices, Better Planet 2020. The forest products industry accounts for approximately 4 percent of the total U.S. manufacturing GDP, manufactures about $210 billion in products annually, and employs nearly 900,000 men and women. The industry meets a payroll of approximately $50 billion annually and is among the top 10 manufacturing sector employers in 47 states. Visit AF&PA online at www.afandpa.org or follow us on Twitter @ForestandPaper.