The forest products industry makes products essential for everyday life from renewable and recyclable resources that sustain the environment.
Nationwide, the U.S. forest products industry:
Employs approximately 950,000 workers in green jobs, making the industry a top 10 manufacturing employer in 45 states;
- Is the leading generator and user of renewable energy, producing 28.5 million megawatt hours annually, enough to power 2.7 million homes;
- Generates 4.5 percent of U.S. manufacturing GDP, on par with the nation’s automotive and plastics industries;
- Supports the sustainable forestry practices that have made it possible for the U.S. to increase the amount of forests over the past 25 years;
- Is a leader in paper recovery for recycling. Thanks to the industry’s support, 68.1 percent of all paper consumed in the U.S. was recovered for recycling in 2018.
- Is a significant taxpayer, paying approximately $7 billion annually in federal, state, and local taxes.
Paper and Paper-Based Packaging
Paper and packaging are essential components of modern life. From tissue paper and newspaper, to milk cartons and cardboard boxes, to copier and writing paper, the everyday uses of paper are nearly limitless, and because it is renewable and recyclable it is the material choice for environmentally conscious consumers. To learn more, click here.
Wood is the ideal environmentally-friendly building material. Renewable, reusable, less energy- and carbon-intensive to produce than competing materials, wood stores carbon indefinitely even as a finished product. To learn more about wood building products and how they contribute beauty, strength and sustainability to construction projects, click here.
The industry’s responsible stewardship of our forests and commitment to sustainable practices are why the U.S. has more forests today than it did just 25 years ago. Forests provide habitat for plants and wildlife, filter our water and air, and mitigate climate change through carbon sequestration. They are also a valuable economic resource that renewably provides raw materials for paper, packaging and wood products.