The Employee Relations Program is the recognized national pulp & paper industry source for collective bargaining and best practice information because we:
- Provide current, easily accessible electronic databases.
- Provide periodic updates of labor developments.
- Provide forums for knowledge exchange and networking.
- Provide custom surveys.
- Interface with the USW and other unions.
- Advise AF&PA in employee relations matters
The Employee Relations Program is made up of U.S. pulp and paper manufacturers. The Program is made up of senior human resource/labor relations official(s) of participant companies. The ERP holds two meetings per year.
The Labor Database has information on about 90% of all U.S. pulp and paper mills with union contracts. “Push button” reports provide users with instant benchmark information on wages and benefits that you can filter by company, region, and product group.
- The Current Labor Developments newsletter, with information and statistics on current bargaining and settlements in the pulp and paper industry.
- Pulp and Paper Bargaining Calendar, with settlement summaries linked to the contract ratification date.
- Employee Relations Overview, a PowerPoint presentation of industry settlement trends and benchmark wage and benefit information.
- Mill labor agreements, posted in PDF format on the LaborData website.
- Employee Relations Program– a network for senior HR executives.
- Annual Employee Relations Conference in Atlanta for mill HR managers.
- Response to requests for information on employee and labor relations issues.
- Monthly telephone conference call to share information on bargaining with the USW.
The AF&PA Recovery Boiler Program was established in 1974 to develop programs and assist companies operating recovery boilers to improve the safety, integrity, and reliability of the recovery boiler operations. The Program is under the direction of a Steering Committee to provide a forum for the members to develop:
- Reference manuals
- Audit guidelines
- Training aids useful in evaluating:
- Safe operating procedures
- Specifications and construction
- Maintenance programs
- Organization and training
- Research and development programs
Membership is open to all companies operating recovery boilers. Companies designate representatives to serve on the Program’s two subcommittees: Research & Development and Operation & Maintenance. The AF&PA Recovery Boiler Annual Conference and Committee Meetings are held on the first Tuesday & Wednesday each February. A copy of the Program’s charter and listing of available publications is shown in the Resources section below.
To learn more about the Recovery Boiler Program or request information about recovery boiler publications, safety seminars, research projects and membership, contact:
Consultant, Recovery Boiler Program
Mobile: (937) 602-1892
AF&PA – Recovery Boiler Program
C/O: Program Excellence, LLC
Attn: Wayne Grilliot, Manager
712 Murrell Drive
Kettering, OH 45429
The Recovery Boiler Committee sponsors four Safety Seminars each year, typically in April, May, September, & October. All Safety Seminars are currently being held on-line in a virtual format. We may have both in-person & virtual Recovery Boiler Operational Safety Seminars in 2023 and future years.
Two expert monitors conduct these seminars to further the operators’ and supervisors’ knowledge and understanding of the safe operation and maintenance of recovery boilers. The seminars focus on the proper training and handling of upset situations to minimize exposure to personnel; reduce injuries; as well as reduce downtime and damage.
Six BLRBAC case studies used as team tabletop exercises in each seminar and are based on actual recent Recovery Boiler Incidents. These team tabletop exercises help operators and supervisors make the important decision when to ESP a Recovery Boiler. Over 4,200 people have attended the seminars since they were started in 1985.
September 20, 2023: (7:45 am – 4:30 pm Eastern Time): Online Virtual AF&PA Recovery Boiler Operational Safety Seminar (with Video & Audio Conferencing).
Event & Registration Information, with the Agenda.
October 3, 2023: Tuesday (3:00 pm – 5:30 pm Eastern Time): AF&PA Research & Development Subcommittee Meeting – Atlanta, GA – Sonesta Atlanta Airport North Hotel (formerly Crowne Plaza) during the 2023 Fall BLRBAC Meetings (Conference Room TBD). Please contact Wayne Grilliot at email@example.com or 937-602-1892 if you wish to attend as a guest.
Mark your calendar! Information to follow.
October 4-5, 2023: In-Person AF&PA Recovery Boiler Operational Safety Seminar – Atlanta, GA – Sonesta Atlanta Airport North Hotel (formerly Crowne Plaza) following the 2023 Fall BLRBAC Meetings (Conference Room TBD). This Seminar is scheduled for 2 half-day sessions. Starts at 1:00 pm Wednesday October 4 and Ends at 12:00 noon Thursday October 5, 2023. Dinner is provided Wednesday night. Breakfast is provided Thursday morning. Registration is limited to members of Companies and Mills that operate Recovery Boilers.Event & Registration Information, with the Agenda.
November 2, 2023: (7:15 am – 4:00 pm Pacific Time): Online Virtual Recovery Boiler Operational Safety Seminar (with Video & Audio Conferencing).Event & Registration Information, with the Agenda.
- Legal notice
- AF&PA Recovery Boiler Charter
- Documents Available for Downloading
- Recovery Boiler Publication and Order Form
- CBT-Based Recovery Boiler Training Program
- List of AF&PA studies