Employee Relations Program
The Employee Relations Program is the recognized national pulp & paper industry source for collective bargaining and best practice information because we:
- Provide current, easily accessible electronic databases.
- Provide periodic updates of labor developments.
- Provide forums for knowledge exchange and networking.
- Provide custom surveys.
- Interface with the USW and other unions.
- Advise AF&PA in employee relations matters
The Employee Relations Program is made up of U.S. pulp and paper manufacturers. The Program is made up of senior human resource/labor relations official(s) of participant companies. The ERP holds two meetings per year.
The Labor Database has information on about 90% of all U.S. pulp and paper mills with union contracts. “Push button” reports provide users with instant benchmark information on wages and benefits that you can filter by company, region, and product group.
- The Current Labor Developments newsletter, with information and statistics on current bargaining and settlements in the pulp and paper industry.
- Pulp and Paper Bargaining Calendar, with settlement summaries linked to the contract ratification date.
- Employee Relations Overview, a PowerPoint presentation of industry settlement trends and benchmark wage and benefit information.
- Mill labor agreements, posted in PDF format on the LaborData website.
- Employee Relations Program– a network for senior HR executives.
- Annual Employee Relations Conference in Atlanta for mill HR managers.
- Response to requests for information on employee and labor relations issues.
- Monthly telephone conference call to share information on bargaining with the USW.
To learn more about the Employee Relations Program, contact:
Recovery Boiler Program
The AF&PA Recovery Boiler Program was established in 1974 to develop programs and assist companies operating recovery boilers to improve the safety, integrity and reliability of the recovery boiler operations. The Program is under the direction of a Steering Committee to provide a forum for the members to develop:
- Reference manuals
- Audit guidelines
- Training aids useful in evaluating:
- Safe operating procedures
- Specifications and construction
- Maintenance programs
- Organization and training
- Research and development programs
Membership is open to all companies operating recovery boilers. Companies designate representatives to serve on the Program’s two subcommittees: Research & Development and Operation & Maintenance. The AF&PA Recovery Boiler Annual Conference and Committee Meetings are held on the first Tuesday & Wednesday each February. A copy of the Program’s charter and listing of available publications is shown below.
To learn more about the Recovery Boiler Program or request information about recovery boiler publications, safety seminars, research projects and membership, contact:
Consultant, Recovery Boiler Program
Mobile: (937) 602-1892
AF&PA – Recovery Boiler Program
C/O: Program Excellence, LLC
Attn: Wayne Grilliot, Manager
712 Murrell Drive
Kettering, OH 45429
Recovery Boiler Operational Safety Seminars
The Recovery Boiler Committee sponsors two Safety Seminars each year, typically in April & May. West Coast and other additional Safety Seminars are scheduled when there is enough interest. During the Covid-19 pandemic, all Safety Seminars were held on-line in a virtual format. Going forward, we plan to have both in-person and virtual Recovery Boiler Operational Safety Seminars.
Two expert monitors conduct these seminars to further the operators’ and supervisors’ knowledge and understanding of the safe operation and maintenance of recovery boilers. The seminars focus on the proper training and handling of upset situations to minimize exposure to personnel; reduce injuries; as well as reduce downtime and damage.
Six BLRBAC case studies used as team tabletop exercises in each seminar and are based on actual recent Recovery Boiler Incidents. These team tabletop exercises help operators and supervisors make the important decision when to ESP a Recovery Boiler. Over 4,100 people have attended the seminars since they were started in 1985.
February 1-2, 2022: AF&PA Recovery Boiler Annual Conference & Committee Meetings – Atlanta, GA – Marriott Atlanta Airport Hotel. Event & Registration Information with the Agenda.
- Legal notice
- AF&PA Recovery Boiler Charter
- Recovery Boiler Publication and Order Form
- Guidelines and Checklist for Specification and Construction for Recovery Boilers
- Recovery Boiler Safety Audit Guidelines
- Recovery Boiler Functional Checks AF&PA Example Document
- CBT-Based Recovery Boiler Training Program
- List of AF&PA studies