Sustainable practices are the foundation of the paper and wood products industry. Our industry delivers sustainable products that are essential to modern life, made from renewable and recyclable resources, and used by millions of Americans each day.
AF&PA has established five quantifiable sustainability goals that the industry aims to meet by 2030.
Goal: Reduce GHG Emissions
AF&PA recognizes the ongoing challenges of our changing climate and our industry GHG goals reflect our commitment to reducing emissions. AF&PA members have already reduced GHG emissions by more than 23% from the 2005 baseline, surpassing our Better Practices, Better Planet 2020 goal.
Our 2030 goal to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions will advance our industry further with commitments to:
- Reduce total Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions intensity 50% by 2030 from a 2005 baseline
- Establish a goal by 2025 for relevant Scope 3 emissions
Goal: Advance a Circular Value Chain
The paper and wood products industry has an inherently circular supply chain from the replanting of trees that supply fiber and enhance the environment to recycling paper and packaging that is turned into new products. Our 2030 goal to Advance a Circular Value Chain Through the Production of Renewable and Recyclable Products will help strengthen the role our industry plays in the circular economy.
AF&PA members will meet evolving customer and consumer needs while improving the sustainability of the industry’s products through:
- Innovating manufacturing processes, products and packaging
- Increasing the utilization of recycled fiber and wood residuals in manufacturing across the industry to 50%
- Increasing the percentage of our products that are recyclable or compostable
- Collaborating with stakeholders and educating them on the contribution/value of renewable materials
Goal: Zero Injuries
“Goal Zero” is more than a target. It’s a mindset. Worker safety is a top priority for AF&PA members. Over the last decade, the industry has made continuous progress in improving worker safety, surpassing our Better Practices, Better Planet 2020 goal.
Our 2030 goal, Strive for Zero Injuries, Emphasizing Continual Progress on Reducing Serious Injuries and Fatalities (SIFs), aims to achieve even more by focusing on identifying and preventing SIF precursors.
In the decade ahead, AF&PA members will:
- Recommit to the aspirational goal of zero injuries
- Implement an ongoing program to prevent serious injuries and fatalities (SIF) at all member company pulp and paper mills
Goal: Advance Sustainable Water Management
Water is a critical aspect of the paper manufacturing process. AF&PA members commit to develop and use tools appropriate for the pulp and paper industry to advance sustainable water management by implementing a watershed approach that accounts for the local context of member mills.
Since 2005, AF&PA members have reduced water use by more than 8%. Our 2030 goal to Advance Sustainable Water Management through a Watershed Approach Throughout Our Manufacturing Operations will expand and further our efforts. Our members commit to:
- Reach consensus on an industry-specific tool with best practices to implement a watershed approach that accounts for the local context of member mills
- Begin voluntary pilot phase in 2023-2024 of industry-specific tool to identify needed revisions
- Set goals for increasing member use of the tool by 2030
Goal: Resilient U.S. Forests
AF&PA members have long been committed to sustainable forestry. Our 2030 Goal: Advance More Resilient U.S. Forests furthers our efforts by:
- Enhancing the diverse values provided by U.S. forests, such as water, carbon, biodiversity, recreation and forest products by:
- Supporting conservation and restoration programs and initiatives
- Engaging in partnerships and investing in research, outreach and education
- Promoting sustainable forest management practices
- Committing to increased supply chain transparency regarding responsible sourcing
As part of Better Practices, Better Planet 2030, AF&PA members will also continue their commitment to procure wood fiber through certified sourcing and report certification-based metrics.
Advancing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Paper and Wood Products Industry
Our strength as an industry stems from the diversity of our people. Along with our Better Practices, Better Planet 2030 sustainability goals, AF&PA released a statement of principles on diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I). This commitment advances DE&I in the paper and wood products industry and is critical to our success on key initiatives such as sustainability.